For those of you who have been following Social Media Madness, some from its inception, I’m both sad and happy to announce that this is my last post on this blog. While WordPress.com has been my first blogging home, I’ve now outgrown the site and as of today, I will be moving to WordPress.org. It’s always hard to leave a place that you’ve grown comfortable in but I know that this is the right move.
It’s been an interesting 6 months on Social Media Madness. I’ve gone from being a social media toddler to a social media adolescent. I definitely can’t say that I know it all but I have learned some important lessons on the way. Here are some of my most important lessons:
- Never start any venture, social media or otherwise, without a plan in place. However, be prepared for that plan to change a great deal along the way.
- Reaching out to others in social media really will take you a long way toward building a vital and engaging network of friends, colleagues and mentors.
- It really isn’t about the numbers. If you are present, genuine, engaging and generous with your knowledge, your fan base really will come to you.
- It about how much you say, but how you say it and whether or not it’s worth hearing.
- You can’t please everyone, all of the time.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. It’s through our mistakes that we often learn life’s most important lessons. If you fall, get up and try again.
- It’s all about your audience. Just like in the offline world, you can’t talk to an empty room. You have to seek out where your audience is and go to them.
- Content really is king. By providing your fan base with good quality, relevant information, you will keep them coming back for more.
Thanks to all who have been frequenting this site. Please come visit me at my new home at ADR Social Media
And That’s The Way It Is,