Social Media Marketing is a funny thing. It’s a relatively new blend of marketing populated by those well versed in traditional marketing tactics along with those who are well versed in the social aspect of media. Throw in those who are flying by the seat of their pants and you have the burgeoning field of social media marketing. While there are no real hard and fast rules when using social media to marketing your business or product, those who seem to succeed in the field tend to follow some basic, unwritten rules of the trade. And while those who don’t adhere to these rules are not necessarily doomed to fail, being welcomed into the sometimes-fickle arms of your audience is usually easier if you do. There have been many articles and blog written about the 5 C’s of Social Media, I guess it’s my turn to throw in my 2.5 cents:
- Curiosity: When I started out in this field, I spent most of my days reading everything I could get my hands on. It was my way of learning, forming opinions, recognizing how much I didn’t know and helping guide me towards what I wanted to know more of. For anyone who really wants to succeed in Social Media, reading, learning, acquiring information and being curious about everything is a must. It is through our curiosity that we are able to move forward from novice to expert.
- Content: (This is really 4 C’s in one) Content is essential to being successful in Social Media. By both Creating and Curating relevant and quality information, you will engage your audience and keep them coming back for more. Make sharing easy for your audience and share willingly. Work with others to create content (I’ll call it Collaboration and wring another C out of it.)
- Consistency: In order to build relationships online, engage with your audience and keep them coming back, you need to demonstrate staying power. By being consistent you create visibility, for you and your Brand. No one likes to have a conversation with someone who isn’t there. And that brings me to my next C.
- Conversation: Success in social media, on any level, is all about the conversation. By listening and engaging with your audience you can truly develop an understanding of what they want and what they need. Use blogs, social networks and forums to join the conversation and don’t forget to Contribute (Oh, Another C!).
- Character: Being yourself, showing your true character, is probably the most important rule in social media. It means being real, being yourself, being honest and trustworthy. By reaching out and putting your best foot forward, you will earn your audience’s trust and begin to develop a real following.
Social Media Marketing has become a quite power to be reckoned with in a relatively short time. There are those who are successful and those who are not. In my opinion, those who are successful adhere to a basic guiding principle when Cultivating their craft (one more…). By following these basic guidelines, it is possible to be extremely successful in building your Community (number 11) through Collaboration (12) and Cooperation (Lucky 13). Phew! I think I got them all. Can you think of any C’s I missed?